Skip to main content

South Carolina Trip: Charleston

Charleston is a very beautiful and elegant sea side city. While Columbia is laid back, relaxed, and friendly, Charleston is rather bustling and hopping. The city of Charleston is what they would call high cotton. Many people are dressed very nicely walking about the shopping district on King Street. I visited the Francis Marion hotel which has  a very nice piano in the lobby. I stopped by Marion Square, a large park in the center of town as well.

Friday morning I was feeling pretty poorly, but I was able to press onto Charleston from Columbia and arrive in one piece. I had to recoup and then play at the City Market. It was very overwhelming for me at first- there is so much for the senses. The area around the city market is full of tourists, carriages going by, loud party goers, and restaurants on either side. But that is plenty for me to have a captive audience!


                              I had time to stop by the battery . A lovely area near the sea.






                       Marion Square Park has a delightful Farmer's Market

 

Later On I took some pictures on the carriage ride






                               The City Market where I entertained on Friday Night 

                                       St Michael's Episcopal Church

                                                       Washington Square Park 


Charleston was a hoot ! I did quite a bit of walking. It is a very walkable city , provided you know where you are going. There are some ghetto areas, but luckily I had my wits about me and avoided them as much as possible. The drive from Richmond is just under 6 hours. I enjoyed a beautiful brunch on John's Island at the Fat Hen, which was preceded by services at St Phillip's Anglican church. Overall, I enjoyed my trip, and I plan to go back in the fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Recap: Show At The Wayside Inn and Belle Grove

 In early October I sang at Larrick's Tavern, located in the beautiful Wayside Inn. I had stayed at the Wayside Inn before when I had a show at Gospel Fest in June. I somehow keep returning to the northwest corner of Virginia. There's a nice church in Winchester called Crossroads Community Chapel that I like to visit when I'm there. My show went well and I met the owners. I also got to have a tour of Belle Grove plantation down the road ,on the site of "Cedar Creek" Battlefield. The whole area is said to be "haunted", but I just rebuke whatever is there. Usually hauntings are demonic in nature. The first time I stayed at the Wayside Inn, I was in the "Lee Room" in the newer part of the hotel on the ground floor. It was named for General Lee. This time I stayed in the "Jefferson Room" on the 3rd floor in the oldest part of the hotel. Each hotel room is unique in design and named after a historic figure. Ironically, in the Jefferson roo

Lee Jackson Day Weekend- Lexington VA!

 Although the Commonwealth of Virginia sadly no longer recognizes Lee-Jackson Day Weekend, many Virginians still honor and celebrate it. Here are a just a few shots from Lee-Jackson Day weekend in Lexington ! There was an awesome parade we did through downtown Lexington , which was preceeded by a memorial service at Stonewall Jackson Cemetery. I marched with a large group of close to 100 people, and many spectators on the street waved and said "God Bless, Y'all!" to us. We got  almost all positive feedback and encouragement. The town itself is run by liberals, but many that live there are not on that side , and are real patriots. I enjoyed walking through Lexington, I haven't been there in many many years. On my way back, I stopped at the Depot Grille in Staunton, Virginia- a fun restaurant which was converted from an actual railroad depot. My waitress was a doll. The weather was chilly, but bearable.  It was a fun time overall !                                   ( Fi

Day At The Park

 A lovely spring day lead me to Robius Landing Park . I enjoyed a stroll around nature and seeing the dogwoods in bloom. The river is quite nice, and the park is generally free from riff raff or unsavory elements. It's nice to get out of the city limits. Feels safe and fresh.  It was around 70 degrees and very windy but enjoyable. I saw people walking their dogs and they seemed to also be local.